Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Bloom 2014 - Morning Glory: Grandpa Otts Morning Glory (Ipomoea purpurea)

8/27/14
Life Cycle: Annual
Uses: Beds, Borders, Cut Flowers
Sun: Full Sun
Soil: Slightly Acidic or Alkaline
Water: Moderately
Spread: 10 - 12 Inches
Bloom Duration: 12 Weeks
Height: 10 - 13 Feet


My most anticipated bloom of the season, my Grandpa Ott's Morning Glory has emerged! It is a beautiful shade of purple and was a welcome sight this morning. There are several buds all over the vine including one that looks ready to bloom by tomorrow. The flower that bloomed is already wilting and getting ready to fall off - ready to be replaced by another bloom tomorrow. I think I'm going to try and collect the seeds for next year.

8/27/14
This lovely purple variety of Morning Flower took about two months to bloom and is the September birth flower ( along with Asters)
8/27/14
This was a pretty low maintenance plant although some pruning was required while growing it indoors.
8/27/14
I can't get enough of this purple shade and I really like it. I might also try a Heavenly blue variety next year or Blue Star morning glory which is a beautiful light blue color.
8/27/14
This is the total height of my Morning Glory plant. 
8/25/14
Bud beginning to take shape 
8/22/14
The bud is a first sign of a bloom so I'm always very excited to see this!

No comments:

Post a Comment