Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Common Flower Gems - Classification # 7 - Chicory (Cichorium intybus)

This scraggly-looking plant is a sure sign of Spring
I spotted this Chicory flower species all over my neighborhood including parking lots, lawns, roadsides, and park areas. This is a personal favorite of mine because it resembles a Dandelion but has a variety of colors and shades as opposed to only yellow. Its also completely edible and is used as a coffee substitute. Blue shades are the most common but there are also white, purple, and pink varieties. I've yet to encounter one but I will be sure to be on the look out.

I found a rare pink/purplish version but this is as close as I could get...thanks fence.

Here are some images of White and Blue Chicory. (Proxy Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment