Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bloom 2013 - Moonflower (Proxy Images)

Life Cycle: Annual
Uses: Trellis or Lattice
Sun: Full Sun
Soil: Slightly Acidic
Water: Lightly to moderately
Spread: 8-10 feet
Bloom Duration: 14 Weeks
Height: 8 weeks
I couldn't stop looking at the bloom and awaited each of the following ones anxiously.  The Moonflower is one heck of a sight to behold.
This was by far my favorite blooms of last year and an instant all-time favorite. I received the seed as a wedding gift from an good friend of mine. When I received it, there was no mention of what type of seed it was so I had no idea what I was planting. I was in for a surprise because I soon noticed it was a fast-growing vine plant and going by the big kernel-like seed and images that I found online, I had a hunch it was a Moonflower. The wedding gift actually came paired with another Morning Glory seed but unfortunately it stopped growing after a few weeks after I planted it; I'm guessing because of the small container it was in. This Spring, I bought some more seeds and am growing another one indoors near my windowsill, so I'm hoping this is the year I get to see it bloom. As for the Moonflower it grew rapidly and easily climbed up the bars of my balcony which are about 5 ft high before blooming one night. It was at this time I realized the meaning behind the name - it only blooms at night and will wither by the next morning or so. Later that summer the plant blossomed about three times and each was as stunning as the last. There's a certain elegance and grace this flower has and seeing it was an unforgettable experience.

When I grew my first Moonflower last year, it stayed like this for about a week, the anticipation to see it bloom was terrible. This pod will fall off once it does bloom and if you let it dry up for a few days you can open it afterwards and reuse the seeds it contains. 
Those ace of spade leaves mean its a vine
Moonflower sprouts - the seed will hang onto the sprout until the sepal breaks it off 

No comments:

Post a Comment