Friday, July 18, 2014

Common Flower Gems - Classification #1 Queen Annes Lace/Wild Carrot (Daucus carota)


Spotted this little guy on top. Supposedly I've hear there's a rare oddity where a purple floret blooms at the center so I will be on the lookout and be sure to post if I spot one.
So I was taking a stroll in my local NY park and realized something...I pass by so many flowers all the time, some numerous times throughout my entire life, but I still don't know what they're called. So in an attempt to remedy that, I will be researching & classifying common flowers and weeds that you might also recognize in your neighborhood and post a few facts and descriptions about them.

Queen Anne's Lace is quite lovely and easy to grow. It prefers a sunny position and a well-drained neutral to alkaline soil. Considered an obnoxious weed by some, it can spread very quickly. But the same is said about dandelions and they are among some of my favorite, also edible flowers. Common flowers get a bad rap if you ask me. This flowers numerous small white flower clusters and tall droopy stalk give it the same grace and beauty of a beautiful white swan.

The roots of  Queen Anne's Lace are similar to carrots and are also edible but can be easily mistaken for poison Hemlock.

Remember those purple florets I mentioned earlier?I found some today! And they weren't all that elusive afterall because I found several today.





And just for the heck of it, its a purple Queen Anne's Lace! (Proxy Image)


No comments:

Post a Comment